- With the addition of eight new countries during 2014, Telefónica will be providing Firefox OS based terminals in a total of 16 of its operators around the world.
- Last week, Chile became the latest country to market Firefox OS devices, based on HTML5.
- This year Germany will become the second European country, following Spain, where Telefónica is focusing its efforts on Firefox OS.
- In the coming months, Telefónica will begin marketing five more Firefox OS terminals from a variety of manufacturers: ALCATEL ONETOUCH FIRE C, ALCATEL ONETOUCH FIRE E, HUAWEI ASCEND Y300 II, ZTE OPEN C and ZTE OPEN II.
- Telefonica will expand its partnership with LINE and plans to offer further differentiated and exclusive experiences from more partners during 2014.
Barcelona, 23 February 2014. Telefónica today announced that it plans to further leverage Firefox OS and redouble its efforts to provide access to the Internet to the next Billion consumers. During 2014 Telefonica will be launching terminals based on Firefox OS in eight new countries: Germany, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Nicaragua, Panama, Argentina, and Ecuador will join Spain, Venezuela, Peru, Colombia, Uruguay, Brazil, Mexico and Chile, where Firefox OS devices launched just days ago.
This year, Telefónica will offer Firefox OS devices in a total of 16 countries, leveraging the openness of the Web and HTML5 as an alternative to the closed Ecosystems that exist today and providing an alternative choice to consumers in countries where smartphone penetration is still low – especially in Latin America.
Marieta Rivero, Global Chief Marketing Officer at Telefónica, said, “We started marketing Firefox OS less than eight months ago commencing with Spain and expanding to several Latin American countries. In a number of these countries, Firefox OS has been a market leader in Smartphone sales from the very start. We’re transforming the market, and will continue focusing our efforts on open environments that give clients more freedom, and prices that are better suited to their possibilities. 2014 will undoubtedly be a key year for all of this.”
Over the course of 2014, Telefónica will also expand the line of terminals available with Firefox OS in all of the countries. The three models currently available –ALCATEL ONETOUCH FIRE, LG FIREWEB AND ZTE OPEN - will be joined by another five that have already been confirmed by a number manufacturers: ALCATEL ONETOUCH FIRE C, ALCATEL ONETOUCH FIRE E, HUAWEI ASCEND Y300 II, ZTE OPEN C and ZTE OPEN II. These new devices, based on Snapdragon S4 processors and Snapdragon 200 processor from Qualcomm Technologies Inc., expand the choices available to Firefox OS users, offering the best possible experience at affordable prices.
All of these devices will be available at the Mobile World Congress – Hall 3, Booth 3J20, enabling the world to see how far the Firefox OS operating system and user interface have evolved over the last months.
In addition to new devices and markets, Telefonica will expand its partnership with LINE across new countries including Chile, Ecuador, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Nicaragua and Panama. Over the coming months we will continue to enhance our new devices by integrating best-in-class partners including NAMCO BANDAI Games America Inc., The Weather Channel, Aviary, Napster, Pinterest and Bitcasa, as well as providing Telefonica customers several exclusive experiences from partners such as Goal and SoundTracking.
All trademarks are the sole property of their respective owners.